Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday in Santa Cruz

Our English class went well this morning with 7 students. They had a lot of questions and I helped them with some phrases that will be helpful when the students are here. Josefina, Marcos and I drive to the coast tomorrow to get the students and we will return on Tuesday.

After class everyone helped me remove all of the equipment from the truck. This is something very positive that I have experienced here. Once I start doing something, everyone pitches in......including the children. Aura and I drove back to Santa Cruz together. While we drove, we ate mangos and practiced some more words in K'iche' and Spanish.

I finished writing a paper for my Bible program. This last topic was what happens after death. It included readings on the resurrection, heaven, hell and eternity. I needed to submit a paper with my thoughts on these events with scriptural support. The class has been very interesting and I have enjoyed the reading.

I forgot to tell you about the patient yesterday that had been having pain in his ear for three days. When I looked in his ear, I saw something light green inside. It was not very far in so I knew I could easily remove it. Did it make me nervous? Yes! I have heard stories from Lisa and from others on things they have removed from patient's ears......living bugs, moths, worms.....anyway, I was lucky. It was just a piece of a leaf and it appeared to be very fresh.

The group Voces Acappella sang tonight at church. They are a very talented group that sings in Spanish and also in K'iche. The have recorded one CD and I have heard they will have another new one in a couple of months. They are the brothers and sisters of Aura.

OK, we are headed to the coast tomorrow morning and will return on Tuesday. I hope that the students really enjoy their time here, that they stay healthy, learn a lot about the culture and possibly will want to return again in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Im Inspired again.