Saturday, May 31, 2008

Message from Brett

Brett's hometown is Abilene, TX. He is attending Abilene Christian University and majoring in Biochemistry.

Favorite TV shows: House, The Office and Greg's Anatomy

Career Goals: I am once again stuck between choosing medical school and dental school. I want to be some sort of doctor but most importantly, I want to be a good dad someday. It is a big decision for me.

I have to admit, it started out a little funny to me. Hearing a room full of people erupt into prayer in K'iche' all of a sudden. It is powerful to watch the people here, to listen to them pray along with each other out loud. It leaves an impression on you that you won't soon forget.

We were on our second house visit for the afternoon after Sheri attended to the first patient visit. We walked up the hill and there were easily ten family members waiting for us. We agreed to go and visit their mother that was sick in bed. We took a short hike with them down to their house.

Crammed all together in one room, we had close to thirty people. After examining the woman we prepared to pray for her, her illness and her family. There is power in a prayer that you do not understand. You can't hear the prayer in their words necessarily but I promise you can hear it in their voice. Opening my eyes during the prayer, many in the room were crying for this woman, for their family member and asking God to heal her.

When what seemed to be one of her sons thanking Sheri for her help, you could just almost feel the sincerity coming out of him. The man was touched, the family was moved and all were surely giving thanks to God.

I wish you could have all been there with us to see what first made me laugh but then brought my eyes to tears.

1 comment:

beckyb said...

Brett,

I wouldn't trade anything for getting to share in your trip and your growth by getting to read your journaling this way. It just wouldn't ever get told the same way when you got home, even if you tried, and I keep believing God has given you a gift for expressing your thoughts this way. Your insights are really quite profound. BUT, we will talk later about your opening your eyes during that prayer (JK), young man!

I am meeting the Bannisters at church, BRYCE is trying a church, and I will try to e-mail you before you hopefully get on-line, but know that (surprise, surprise) I love you tremendously!!!

Thanks a million, Sheri,

Mama Sweetums (Becky)