Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Another day of blessings!

Today I met Gaspar, Juan and Maury on Chichi and then we headed for Chuguexa. We had to pass through the road construction area and unfortunately we had to wait for 40 minutes for the road to reopen. Sometimes we can time it right and other days we are not as lucky. We entertained each other with jokes about what they were selling up and down the road. You can buy fruit, drinks, baskets for tortillas, wooden toys, hats, cards for cellular phones and battery chargers from decades ago........and tons of other stuff too.

When we got to Chuguexa we unpacked the truck and started setting up for clinic. Within a few minutes my phone was ringing with a number I did not recognize. It was Llyod from Panajachel that works with an organization called Solomen's Porch. He was calling to tell me that there is another baby near Pana that has a cleft lip and the family is interested in the baby having surgery.

I was so excited because this is growth from the work that Jane started when she was down here in early April. The baby was born on April 18th and his name is Edison Fernando. He will be brought to Clinica Caris on Monday for Josefina to see and hopefully be a good surgical candidate for August!

We had a good clinic of 27 patients. A few children were very, very sick so I asked the parents to return to the next clinic for follow-up. We stopped for much needed Cokes on our way home and I returned everyone to Chichi safely.

I got home later that usual so had just enough time to wash the first of four layers of dust off before heading to class. For some reason the other students in the class want to rotate chairs every class......I like my one special seat but every night I have to move again :) They continue to push me out of my comfort zone.

One lady talked to me tonight about our clinics and where we go. She mentioned that they need a medical clinic and also a dental clinic in Jocopilas. So, Kemmel, maybe this is an area we can check out.

OK, that is all for tonight.........please pray for Edison Fernando and I will keep you posted.

No comments: