Friday, May 16, 2008

Clinic in Choacaman IV

Today we had a good clinic of 12 patients in Choacaman IV. A few of the regular patients were back and it was good to see them. I still have not heard anything about Marta and her lab work. I have asked many times but no one has heard any news on her.

One mother brought her son, about 7 years old, that had cut the tip of his finger off with a machete. This happened about a month and a half ago and it looked fairly good. I cleaned it and gave them some things to continue to keep it clean. It did not look infected and I explained that the small black tip would eventually come off.

When I arrived back to Santa Cruz, I told Gaspar and Maury that I wanted to go to the hospital to see if I could find Carlos from yesterday. They had other things that they needed to do so we said our goodbyes and they took a bus back to Chichi. I went home, parked the truck and started walking to the hospital.

The sun was out bright today and it was a hot walk but I enjoyed it. When I arrived, it was the visiting hour so I asked for Carlos and explained how I knew him........but I am sure they could tell I was not family :):)

Carlos was in their in ICU area and I arrived just a few seconds before his dad did. He said Carlos was much better and encouraged me to go in first to see him. I was asked to wash my hands and given a gown to wear. Carlos was in a large crib and he was sitting up coloring!! He had an IV, was getting oxygen and they had placed a chest tube in his left side when he first arrived yesterday. The nurses were very kind and showed me his chest xrays. They said they had drained 1000cc of fluid from his chest yesterday. Wow.......he is 5 years old but looks to be 3-4 years old and he had 1000 cc?? No wonder he could barely breath yesterday! Now he is getting IV antibiotics and I think he is getting good care. I am so excited and thankful that they did not send him home!! I talked to his dad a few minutes and told him I would try to visit again on Sunday.

Tomorrow we have clinic in Chuchipaca and hopefully we can check on a new area for some clinics.

No comments: