Saturday, May 3, 2008

Clinic in Chuchipaca

I met up with the guys in Chichi this morning and Juan's brother, Gabriel, wanted to go with us to clinic! Great! I had hopes of us having a great turn out for teeth cleaning since Gaspar had talked to the people at the last clinic.

Gaspar wanted to try his hands on the wheel today so when we turned off the main road he started driving. He was very slow, careful and excellent at keeping the truck in the center of the road. He drove for a few miles and then we approached a hill and he had some trouble. I encouraged him to continue to try again but a truck came from behind and he decided that was enough for today.

We all guessed at how many patients we would have and we were all optimistic.....unfortunately, too optimistic. There were 14 medical patients but none wanted their teeth cleaned :( I still have hopes of people learning the importance and the patient population improving.

We drove back to Lemoa and unloaded the dental equipment so Josefina's team could get it for they next clinic. Then I took Gaspar, Juan and Gabriel back to Chichi. Saturdays are our Fridays so I wished them a good weekend and will see them on Tuesday for clinic in Xesic.

I walked around Santa Cruz and it looked like it was going to rain at anytime. A few drops fell but nothing substantial. There was a band playing in the park so I listened for a few minutes, as I enjoyed some icecream :) I saw David and Sonya from Montellano and we talked for a few minutes.

Then.....as I was heading home, I felt this pull toward the language school and before I knew it, I had signed up for a K'iche' classes. I had no plans of doing it, it just happened. I found that this semester the classes are a little later which will be easier with our clinic schedule. It is frustrating not to be able to communicate with patients the way I want to so hopefully, this will help. The class will be for two nights a week for two months.

Buenas noches......good night!

No comments: