Monday, April 21, 2008

Monday.....Monday......

Today is my catch-up and study day. I am continuing with my on-line classes for Continuing Education for my nursing license. This week, the focus is EKG's and I would be very embarrassed if I did not pass......I will just have to wait and see.

As I was studying, the phone rang and it was Josefina at the clinic in Lemoa. She said a family had brought their baby with a cleft-lip to be seen. Josefina remembered the baskets that Jane brought on April 3. I blogged about Jane and her organization, Baskets of Love and Life on that day. So I turned off the computer and headed for Lemoa......

Somewhere during Jane's travel in Guatemala she found, Diego, the baby below. She gave the parents one of her baskets, my name and the address of Clinia Carris in Lemoa. They came to find us today, tightly gripping the paper Jane had given them. A truck load of family all came to the clinic for support and I felt like I knew them.

Diego is 24 days old and weights only 10 pounds. The next plastic surgery team comes in August so we will see what we can do for this baby.


Today I spent a lot of time thinking about Marta, the 6 year old from Choacaman IV. Today her parents should have received the results from her blood work. Sickness is so very sad, especially when it is a family member and it brings with it helplessness. Today I thought of the story in Luke 6 where Jesus healed the crowds of people with diseases and evil spirits. It is the same Jesus that we pray to for comfort, peace and salvation. His power is as real today as it was then.

No comments: