Thursday, April 3, 2008

Clinica in Lemoa

Today we had 15 medical patients in Lemoa and it was a good day. I went to Chichi today and picked up Jane, Susan and Felix the clown. Jane has started an organization called Baskets of Love and Life to help babies here in Guatemala with cleft lips and palates. Jane gives a photo of her grandaughter, Evelyn, who had a cleft lip and a basket of bottles to families who have a need. Her friend, Susan, is traveling with her and they were accompanied by Felix who lives in San Pedro.
At lunch, I drove them back to Chichi and they are now on their way to Antigua.

As I was driving home this afternoon, I realized a circus had pulled into town. It is about 5 blocks from my house so I parked the truck and walked back to see the excitment. And let me say, there was excitement! Every taxi and tuk-tuk was parked in front!

The animals were really drawing a crowd!! They had an elephant, a camel, a horse and a llama all tied to trees. There were no cages, barriers or anyone supervising the animals or visitors. This is not something you would see in the States due to fear of law suits :) The elephant was pulling limbs from the pine tree and eating the needles.

This guy decided he wanted a close-up with his camera phone but the elephant had not given his permission :)
Kemmel, I have decided that we need an elephant to carry around with us to our clinics! I think it would draw more patients and I promise to feed and bathe it :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
anushka said...

ANY ACTIVITY IN INDIA? I AM A DOCTOR FROM INDIA , I LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT YOUR ACTIVITIES.

Kemmel and Lisa Dunham said...

You have been nominated for the excellece in journalism award!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.