Saturday, April 5, 2008

Clinic in Chuchipaca

Gaspar, Juan, Maury and I headed to Chuchipaca this morning and arrived in time to set up clinic and start at 0900. This is the new Church building in Chuchipaca and today was our second time using it.

There is a line hung so we can hang a sheet for privacy during our clinic. I told Gaspar I could hold the ladder for him but he did not believe me :) He kept saying, "I am scared, Sheri!" I was so tempted to shake the ladder and tell him we were having an earth quake but I did not want to cause him to have a heart attack!
We had 19 patients today and Gaspar and Maury took turns helping me with the K'iche' speaking patients.

One lady came bringing 5 young children with her. One of the children, 3 years old, had a severe infection on his foot. When I took his sock off, he cried in pain because there had been so much drainage from the wound. I gave the boy some antibiotics and told the mom I really wanted her to bring the boy back in 2 weeks. Then she told me the other children had the same problem.

When the other children showed me their sores, it was very difficult. Each had infections on different parts of their bodies. I talked to the mother about bathing the children daily and using a different soap. We prayed with the family and I am really looking forward to seeing this family again.

Another lady came to see us today and her blood pressure was extremely high. The first time it was 190/100 and then it was 210/100. I gave her some medicines and want to see her again before the next clinic. She is unable to travel to our clinic in Lemoa so I am going to visit her on Monday when I need to go to Antigua.

After clinic we went to find an area where we may have a future clinic. We will see what happens.

Our English classes start tomorrow! I hope there is a good turn out...........

No comments: