Friday, April 4, 2008

Clinic in Choacaman IV

The day was beautiful, sunny and warm with bright blue skies! It reminded me of Carolina Blue .........UNC........Go Heels! They play tomorrow evening at 6:40, Guatemalan time :)

Today Gaspar, Juan and I made our way to Choacaman for clinic. We parked the car on one side of a corn field that recently has been cut down and then carried our equipment to the house of Enrique. They are a wonderful family and open their home to us twice a month.

The diabetic patients were a little disappointing today. There are two gentlemen that had been keeping their sugars under 140 but today they were over 250. One told me it was because of Semana Santa, which was their Holy Week. This week was full of celebration and food not highly recommended for diabetics. I just shook my head, smiled and told them we needed to look for another reason..........then one confessed that he has been eating 18 tortillas a day! Now, we are getting some where!

I am very concerned about a girl that was brought to the clinic today. Her name is Marta and she is 6 years old. Her grandfather told me that she has been bleeding for 3 years. This child was covered in bruises and obviously very ill. Gaspar, Juan and I talked to the grandfather and grandmother about taking her to the hospital which they really needed to do. After talking about possible treatments and care, I completed some papers that hopefully helped when they arrived at the hospital. Gaspar led us in prayer before the family left, asking God to be with them while providing comfort and peace. I will try to get an update on Marta but please remember her in your prayers.

No comments: