Sunday, October 18, 2009

Vamos a Xela!!!!

Kemmel and Lisa picked me up at 0630 and we went to get Glenn and Neva. We enjoyed coffee that Lia had prepared for us as we drove to Xela.

We arrived in Xela in time to grab a quick breakfast and then walked back for worship at 0930. There were quite a few people there and Lisa and Kemmel said that when they visited for the first time, only 20-30 people were in attendance. It is good to know that The Church is continuing to grow in different areas.

We drove to a large mall and a zoo that I may check out later. They showed me so many things to do during these two weeks that I may have a hard time finding time to study.......just kidding!!

Then we went to Pizza Hit for lunch and I can not tell you how marvelous it was!! There are no words to describe the salad and the pizza.

Lisa and Kemmel were in Xela for 3 months when they first arrived to work for HTI. I will be studying at the same school and living in the same house they were in. We went to visit the school and talk with Hugo. I will be the only student next week. It is sad but the enrollment is down due to the economy and people being afraid to travel due to the flu.

Everyone dropped me off at Elubia's house where I will be staying. Glenn wanted to roll the window down and toss me out as they slowed down but he decided to be kinder to me :) Elubia was glad to see Kemmel and Lisa. I will be staying in their old room and I think it will be a great two weeks.

I could not wait to walk downtown and take some photos. This is the park near the school.


It is a very old city and buildings are beautiful.

This is one of the big Catholic Churches near the park.



OK, I have been here a few hours and I already know where they sell diet Coke, have a school trip planned and I have already been spotted. I was sitting in the park listening to music and someone recognized me from Santa Cruz. Guatemala is small!!

I will keep you posted on my two weeks here and I have high expectations from my time here.........good night :)

2 comments:

Kemmel and Lisa Dunham said...

Great pictures! Great pizza!

Mom said...

Really nice pictures Sheri!!!! Stay safe!!!!