Saturday, October 24, 2009

Saturday in Xela

Lisa and Kemmel often say in their blog, "The bear went over the mountain to see what it could see." Well, today the bear and I went over the mountain.

This morning after breakfast, I pulled out my map of Xela. I left the house at 0800 and walked north on 15 Avenida hoping to get a view of the volcano. This was my first clear view of Santa Maria. Usually in the afternoon it is hidden behind the clouds.

This is a Catholic Cathedral near one park.

I was hoping to find the zoo. I had read different articles on it but thought it would be nice to visit it. When I would ask people directions, they told me I would have to take a bus. Well.........I was not sure about that. I remembered the landmarks that Lisa and Kemmel showed me last Sunday so the bear and I kept on walking.

The zoo was OK but I really enjoyed the walking and studying. I saw the zoo in about 15 minutes and then studied on a bench. I had more fun watching the people, watch the animals.

I then looked for a place for lunch..............................I know Glenn and Neva are going to laugh but Pizza Hut was calling my name. I found more places to study as I walked back to Elubia's. It was almost 1500 when I arrived and it was a great day.

Tonight for dinner, Elubia placed before me a rice tamale and a pupusa. I could barely finish the tamale and it was wonderful. I asked her if I could save the pupusa for tomorrow and she did not seem to mind. There comes a point when you just have to say, "no more, please." It was just more than I could eat.

Speaking of rice...................Kemmel, I have my rice for tomorrow :)

1 comment:

Kemmel and Lisa Dunham said...

Don't forget to cook the rice before you go!

Pizza is good sight seeing grub. In another year, Glenn and Neva will be craving Pizza Hut!