Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesday in Xela

Gerson and I had a good class today. I can feel myself pushing harder each day since I only have a few more days left.

I decided to go on another after-school activity. There is one student from France and I that have been doing the activities. Today, we took a bus to Zunil, which is about 30 minutes from Xela. We passed through some areas that we were told are very organized and export much of their vegetables. This photo does not do the farming justice. The agriculture and landscaping were very beautiful!

When we finally parked, we were at a river. It was the fastest moving river I have seen in a long time.

This is the large Catholic Cathedral. It is known for having a silver cross inside while most crosses are made of wood. I took a photo of it but it did not turn out well.

The teacher that took us was very interesting and he had a good sense of humor. He took us to a place where the ladies market and sell goods. I tried to get him to buy this but he refused :)

OK, the last thing he took us to see was an area that was having a festival. It is the place where Saint Simon and Saint Pascual are. This photo is of Saint Simon. He is a full-size plastic mannequin that is smoking a cigar. People would approach him, kiss him, hug him and treat him as if he were alive. They would take his stick out of his hand and touch their children's head with it. It was an environment that I did not feel comfortable in at all. People were drinking liquor and then leaving the mannequin some after they would pour it in a plastic bag.

The next room was for Saint Pascual. There was not a big figure as with Saint Simon but here they would leave small burnt offerings made with tobacco or vegetables. I do not think there was any live offerings but you never know. You can pray and request good things from Pascual. You can also pray and ask for bad things to happen to people you wish harm on.

The room between was the party room. There was a band playing and people were dancing.......it did not matter who you danced with or how many people you were dancing with. We saw a few arguments and some fights that were brewing. I was ready to leave.

It was an educational day and also sad in some perspectives. The idea of these saints are from the Mayan belief and not Catholic in origin which causes some disruption in the community. I believe that there is only one God and to Him only should we bow and worship.

Whew..........time in Xela is drawing to a close an there are still so many things to learn.

No comments: