Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Classes for Chutzurob and Mactzul VI

 This morning Kemmel came by to get me and we drove to get one truck that was ready at the mechanic's shop.  It was the first time in many months that I was able to drive the Suk and it seemed good. But the Suk still does not have the best health so Kemmel stayed to talk to the mechanic about those problems.

Gaspar and I went to Chutzurob to do the first Gastritis Class.

I started the class by talking about the first time that Gaspar and I were in Chutzurob.  It was about 3 years ago that we met with Sebastian about starting a clinic there. He had some doubt that the congregation would be interested so we said we would pray about it, as he talked to the members there.  We were so excited when we received the call saying that the clinic was welcomed.

We had 22 students and the class lasted 2 hours. There were lots of questions, since stomach problems are very common here. People are very willing to share their stories.  They have asked for more classes and this is an encouragement to us. 

In the afternoon, we went to Mactzul VI for the ABC Class.  As I took this photo, I realized that the first slide is in English........opps.........

On the way to class, we were talking about some of the photos and Kemmel helped me realize that I had been saying the words, "balance" and "scale" wrong.  I will have to work on this.  Spanish remains frustrating to me and I have so much to improve on.

Lisa and Sandra had the monthly clinic today in Mactzul VI. They had not finished yet when we arrived.  One young patient of Lisa's is a diabetic and is using insulin.  This is not very common here but Lisa said her blood sugar was good and she seems to be well controlled. 

Sandra and Maria helped us out with the dental part.

Maria and Gaspar are very valuable since they are able to speak K'iche'. Without them, many people would not understand.

Maria continues to demonstrate proper brushing.  Sandra explained how you can use strips of a plastic bag to floss your teeth.  Many people do not have dental floss so this is helpful information.

The ABC children and their parents.

There are 24 students in the program and I think everyone was there.  We ended the class by talking about what a blessing the ABC Program is to the children, family, church and community.  Gaspar led a prayer as we closed and I think everyone enjoyed the afternoon.

We confirmed the Bible Class for the ladies on May 18th in the afternoon.




No comments: