Saturday, May 5, 2012

ABC Class in Mactzul III

This morning, Manuel and I went to Mactzul III for our first ABC Class.  This year we will be talking about basic hygiene, dental care and good nutrition.  I will also be talking to the parents about basic parenting skills.  Yes, I know that I have so much experience in this area...... but maybe I can spur on some good thoughts.

When talking about nutrition, I felt we needed to give some good examples.  This year, I am sharing  peanuts with the classes.  Peanuts are easy to find in the market and are not real expensive but many people do not eat them.  It is an alternative for more protein in the diet and are very easy to carry to work or to school.

We are also talking about the proper way to brush our teeth.  So, everyone got to practice.....

We formed a circle and brushed away................brushing up and down, not side-to-side.  We need to develop good habits.

I think the parents enjoyed it as much as the children.

We need to start the children young..................

Then it came time to wash our hands.  This child was having the best time.  If you enlarge the photo, you can better see his fingernails.  I never like to be the one to tell the child their hands are dirty.  This is the responsibility of the parent.  So when he was finished, I had him ask his father if his nails were clean.

His father decided that more needed to be done so I let him use my clippers.  Manuel, standing behind, offers support.  This might have been the first time this father has clipped nails.

The final result! Spotless!!

This little girl was not sure she wanted to participate in all of the excitement.

This is Marleny.  She is my ABC child and live here in Mactzul III.

Fourteen on the sixteen children were able to attend the class, with their parents.  Next week, we will continue in other communities.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Enjoyed this blog very much Sheri!!!