Monday, May 31, 2010

Be still and know that I am God

Kemmel called me this morning and told me how bad some of the roads were and the destruction that had been done. We are very thankful that the students and the HTI promoters are ok. None of our employees have lost their homes but many around them have.

I met everyone in Chichi this afternoon and was ready to return to Paxot for another week. I hope to continue to learn more K'iche'.

It took a while to make our way out of Chichi due to funerals leaving the cemetery. Later, I heard there had been 30 funerals in Chichi today.

As we are able to get out more into the different communities, we are hearing of more devastation. There have been many deaths and people are missing. Many roads and bridges have been destroyed. The water projects that many communities have been working on have been washed away.

As we left Chichi, we had not gone far before the road was closed. There were close to 40 trucks waiting for the road to reopen. We got out of the trucks and walked down the road to see what was happening. Apparently, there were some people missing and they were searching over the cliff for them in the mud.

This is a photo of the steep embankment.

There were volunteers and firemen looking for those who were missing.

We took the opportunity for a quick photo before the road was reopened......Garrett, Paul, Kate, Andrea, Amy and Michele.

As we finally made our way to Paxot, we were able to see a beautiful sunset.

Psalm 46:10-----Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.

There are many questions of why we have these natural disasters. These events are not new but they always hurt and raise questions. God remains in control.............something that we can not forget.

It was after dark when we arrived in Paxot. I walked home in the dark to Gaspar and Martina's. It was so good to get there. When I was near, I started calling their names. They seemed happy to see me and it was good to be there again. I have thought about them alot and they are doing ok with all that has happened. They are lucky to have electricity but do not have water. They have been told it will be 8 months before they have water.

I will keep you posted as I can. We are suppose to go to Patzite tomorrow if the roads are opened. Please pray for those who are hurting.


1 comment:

Brett Hicks said...

Sheri! Just wanted to check in and tell you hey. I hope things are going well down in Guatemala right now. Please tell Amy hey for me, and let her know I've been praying for her and the rest of the group. I hope they are having a great time down there. Let me know how you are doing sometime when you can shoot me a facebook message! Miss you, ma'am!