Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Clinic in Chutzurob and move to Paxot

Marcos, Martina, Gaspar, Juan and I left Chichi at 0730 for our clinic in Chutzurob. It was a good clinic with 28 medical patients and 19 for dental. These were some of the children that were playing around the clinic.

About half way into the day,we stopped for lunch. The sisters of the church had prepared soup and tamalitos for us. During lunch, we found out that Sebastian has either 14 or 15 children. Here he is with some of his grandchildren.

After clinic, I went by my house to get my things to move out to Paxot II for 4 days. I stopped and got Juan's sisters to take with me. When we arrived at Manuel's house, everyone was there. The students, Roger, Kemmel and Lisa were all sitting outside and talking. I was greeted with a cup of coffee and a piece of bread.

The students studied Spanish one week in Xela an after that went to the coast for classes with Roger. Now, it was time to use all that they have been learning.

We all walked to our separate homes.............Manuel and Garret walked me to Martina's and Gaspar's. The family was very excited to show me how they had prepared for me! A piece of wood had been placed on some concrete blocks and then a mattress. This will be my bed. They have some nice heavy blankets for me...........and water by the bed.......I am set.

After everyone left, I was invited to sit in the kitchen by the fire. I was offered coffee and bread. I had not planned on eating dinner but it was being prepared. We had grilled steak, beans and tortillas.

By now it was 8pm and the two little girls had opened a blanket near the fire and had fallen asleep. The other 3 children are in the ABC Program and wanted to show me photos and letters they had received from their sponsors.

There was a constant battle of trying to keep the dogs out of the kitchen. The family would yell at them, toss something at them, wave a stick or something but it did not work.......from time to time the dogs must get something that causes them to continue to return. There are two kittens and they are allowed in the kitchen. They sit up on the stove area and then grab pieces of food as it is tossed down form them.

At 8:30 we say our good nights and go into our separate rooms. It will be an interesting 4 nights here. I know the children want to learn some English and they can help me with K'iche.

Tomorrow, the students go to Xepol with us.


No comments: