Sunday, May 23, 2010

Busy Chuchipaca

The photos are from the other day when Tomasa and I walked around the yard together. We were talking and comparing names on diferent flowers. I asked her if she minded if I hung a hummingbird feeder in the yard. She was excited about that so my parents will bring me one in July when the are here.

Today, Juan and Gapar went to Chuchipaca with me. We had a good day with 23 patients. It is always hard to tell how may patients you will have in Chuchipaca since they arrive at different times. You think you are down to the last few patients and the next time you look around the "magic curtain," there are seven more patients! It is magical!

Things were moving along real well and then I heard a child screaming and a dog barking. I thought it was a child not getting what they wanted. Then Juan came to tell me that a dog had bitten a child. I quickly excuse myself from the curent patient and went to see what had hapened. The girl was about 7 years old and crying very hard.

The dog had obviously won that battle! When I was cleaning the wounds, Juan and I were talking about the dog. The owner was there and said the dog had been vacinated. The mother of the child also said the child had been vacinated. I gave the mother some antibiotics and some Tylenol.

After we were fiished with 23 patients, we did a house-call in the area. I was told that a young man had wanted to come to clinic but had a high fever and could not come. We went to see him and I left some medicine for him. I told his family that we would be in the area again on Tuesday and that if he was not better to call us.

This closes out our week of clinics. We saw some interesting patients and had some exciting events. I hope to get some calls this weekend conerning classes. I know it is slow getting them startd but I think once we get started........................away we will go!

Kemmel and Lisa are down a th e coast with the MET students. They spent last week studying Spanish in Xela. They will live with families in Paxot for about the next month. I will also live with a family in hopes of learing more Kiche'. We will see what happens.

No comments: