Friday, May 28, 2010

Clinic in Paxot II

As usual, after breakfast the children walked me to the road. It has rained all though the night and has not stopped.

Since we had clinic in Paxot II today, I just walked up to the church. Kate and Garrett were already there. We unloaded the truck as soon as Juan pulled it up. Gaspar walked to clinic today since there were no trucks running from Xepocol.

We had a busy day with 31 medical patients and 4 dental cleaning.

This was one couple that came for a check up. They will have a baby in about a month.

For lunch, we sat inside by the fire and it felt good. It has been cold due to the rain. Juan drove me down to the section where the kids will come and get me.

I stopped by a little store and bought a chocolate bar for hot chocolate. I thought everyone would enjoy it. It was a hit when I got home. Martina had it made in less than 15 minutes. We sat by the fire and listened to the POURING rain.

It is amazing. The children constantly play and take care of each other. The work is never finished. Angelica is always helping make tortillas, salsa or taking care of the two youngest girls. Alejandro is the only boy so he especially enjoys it when Gaspar is home.

There is no refrigerator in the home........all of the food is prepared and then eaten. All the water has to be heated to bathe with. Each night the corn is soaked and then taken to the mill to be ground for tortillas or tamalitos.

This is Martina and Gaspar. We will go back to Quiche at 0500 in the morning to sell in the market. I love to watch them joke around with each other. I do not see that very often here.

Today in clinic we were offering free blood sugar checks but Martina had to take snacks to the school so she would not be able to come to the clinic. Gaspar asked if I could check it at the house.....sure! So I checked Martina's and she was fine. Then she asked Gaspar to let me check his and he acted as if he was scared................she jumped on him and held him down! Then the children got in on the action so everyone was on Gaspar. He did not have a chance!

Franci...................

Alejandro fell asleep at the table again.....................

The smallest girl..................tonight is the first time she has come near me. She has just stared at me since the afternoon I arrived. I should say, she has glared at me. She is not sure of me being here.

Angelica.........

The four girls...........and everyone wanted the cat in the photo.

Everyone was falling asleep after dinner except Martina. Gaspar sat by the fire and his head kept falling over. The two youngest were in their blankets. Alejandro and Angelica were too tired to study English and their heads were on the table. It was 8 PM and everyone went to their rooms to sleep. There is more work to be done tomorrow!




No comments: