Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Meet my new friend Marta

We had a small clinic today. When we arrived there were no patients waiting. We hoisted up the speaker and announced the clinic. We were talking about mounting the speaker on the truck and driving through the community and then we were told it would not do any good. There was a commnity meeting and that is where everyone was. We were not excited about that :(

This is Tomas who helps us with the clinic in Mactzul I. He asked if I would take a photo of him in his HTI shirt. I asked him if he wanted the photo taken outside and he quickly turned that down. He told me he wanted it next to this blanket that was hanging.

I want to introduce you to Marta. She is a young girl that lives near Mactzul I and we had a lot of fun today. She can hear but she can not talk very well. Juan, Maury and I were talking with her and helping her say some words. She is very bright and caught on quick but needs someone to spend a lot of time with her. Within a few minutes, she was counting to 10 but had a hard time with pronunciation..................................kind of like my K'iche'!

I wanted to give you an update on the Lemoa tumulos...................the tree that was placed near the lake to slow down the buses and then was removed......well, it has been placed back in the road with several pieces and concrete around them. I guess they feel that this may prevent the bus drivers from moving them again...........I think not!

No comments: