Friday, June 4, 2010

Who is under that blanket????

About midnight, Gaspar knocked on my door. The rain was terrible!! He asked if they could sleep in my room. Sure!! Martina arranges all of the blankets on the floor and they tied up tarps to protect the door. Gaspar and I placed some heavy planks in front of the house to add a little security. After seeing the damage that can happen, I knew these things would not help but I am sure he was trying to to whatever he could to protect his family.

I can only think of one other time that I have been so scared. I just laid there afraid to move and listened to the rain. I just prayed and waited for morning. I finally fell asleep and woke up in the morning in the same spot. I saw the light through the crack of the door!

I looked around, unsure of who was in the room. There was someone on the floor rolled up in a blanket. I thought it was Alejando but it looked kind of big for him. I did not think it was Gaspar because he left at 0500 for Quiche. I knew it was not Martina since I heard her voice in the kitchen.

Well, I needed to make a move so I prepared my scrubs on the bed as quietly as I could, hoping that the mound of blanket on the floor would not move. There was no other place to go. I changed clothes in 30 seconds or less!!

I went to the kitchen. Martina said that Gaspar was not able to go to Quiche because the rain was so bad and there would not be anyone in market..........................hmmmmmm, so that might have been Gaspar under that blanket???? I later found that it was but my change of clothes had been very well orchestrated!

We made our way to Choacaman IV and we had a good clinic. I was especially excited because I was able to work with some of the diabetic patients. Lisa would see them for consult and then we would go into another room and discuss diet, using the diet sheet we designed and some photos. I think we will see some improvement as we are able to do this more. Teaching takes time and you have to go over the same information in different ways.

Kate checking in the last of the 14 patients for the day.

Most of the day, the sun shined and I was so thankful.

As we prepared to make our way back, the clouds started covering the sky. We stopped by the the clinic to load the cleaning equipment for tomorrow in Chuchipaca. The students went to the internet for awhile.

When I go tack to Paxot the rains had started again and hard. I kept thinking of a scripture.

Matthew 21:22----If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.

Now I know that this is not the go-ahead to pray for anything you want and think you will get it. I wanted our safety to be God's will and I was scared again. I usually don't find myself in helpless situations but I have for two nights. I was told that we would sleep in the community building for safety but it looked like that was not going to happen.

After dinner, Gaspar said they would sleep in the room again with me. I did not mind at all......it is their house. I went to bed earlier than they did and slept in the scrubs I would wear the next morning.

I just prayed for morning again and thought of Matthew 21:22 and some of my other favorite scriptures.

No comments: