Thursday, June 3, 2010

Did someone say, "Shower??"

We left early this morning for Chinique. We drove through Quiche without any problem. We took two trucks and stopped along the road and waited for Martin to ride with us. There were signs of people gathering but the groups were small.

When we arrived, we did not have any patients. There were several notices around town and the guys had announced the other day with the speakers but yet no one was waiting. There were several town meetings and school meeting but all was calm.

Josefina and I walked to get a Coke and then stopped to talk to a fireman. He said that he heard there was more rain coming. Josefina and I just looked at each other, knowing this is not something we wanted to hear.

We eventually had 5 patients.

We started noticing how people were dressed. Josefina and I were dressed identical.

Andrea and Kate were dressed opposite. I think they broke out in a song........and as you can see, Tomas was in his own world!

The students have been without a shower for 3 days so Kemmel arranged for us to use a shower at a hotel here in Santa Cruz. I can not tell you how excited they were and yes, I was too. I had bought some moist body wipes but not being able to wash my hair for 4 days made it feel like pine needles :)

Before we arrived back in Paxot, it started raining. It was not hard but we still had the whole night to go.

We enjoyed dinner as usual. It was very nice. From time to time the rain would start really hard and then in about 20 minutes let up some............then it would fall hard again. I was trying to ignore it.

The children fell asleep by the fire as they usually do. Alejandro fell asleep with his head on the table and even Angelica was nodding. It was time say our good-nights.

About 9:30, Gaspar knocked on my door. He told me that if the rain continued, he wanted to know if the family could sleep in my room. I told him sure. I knew he was scared. They had already propped a dirt wall up with a log because it might collapse. The ground was satuarated and so many people have lost their homes.

It was time to try and get some sleep.

No comments: