Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Students last clinic!

Today, we headed to Xepol with the students. This was their last clinic with us. The five weeks have passed quickly and we have enjoyed having them.

Our clinic in Xepol was small with only nine patients.

After clinic, we stopped in Chichi so people could get things they wanted to take back to Paxot. Carrie wanted to make small pizzas for her family using tortillas and adding avocado, onion and cheese. I am sure her family really enjoyed it!

When I arrived home, only the children were there. We played for several hours until Gaspar, Martina and Alejandro returned from Quiche.

I took some photos and that helped us pass some time. The youngest girl has warmed up some to me but I am not her favorite person. I caught her as she was running around on the patio.


Jenny is always giving me a smile.

Angela enjoys working........there is no doubt about it. She is always washing, cooking or studying. I think she is a very good student in school. Here she is washing clothes in the pila.

She stopped long enough to have her photo taken and she wanted it with a chili plant.

After washing clothes, Angela said she was going to clean some corn. I told her that I would like to help.

She climbed up into an attic and brought down a bag of dried corn from last year that was still on the cob. We removed all of the husks. The husks that were clean, were kept in a separate bag to be used later. She then placed all of the ears of dried corn in a burlap bag and BEAT it with a wooden club! That part, I did not understand at first but when she opened the bag, wow!!! The kernels of corn had fallen off the cob! There were only a few kernels on each cob and we were able to pick those off........................amazing! The husks will be used later to cook tamalitos.

Franci carrying the baby around on her back.

When everyone returned home we had what I thought was dinner. First, Martina gave us all a pack of cookies and also gave me a banana. I shared the banana with the youngest children. Then, she gave me a bowl of white atol which is like a soup. I finished it and then talked about 30 minutes with everyone. At this point, it was almost 9pm and I was ready for bed. I thanked Martina and Gaspar and said goodnight.

They quickly told me that we had not had dinner yet. I was surprised because I was very full and did not know how I could eat more. Gaspar started quizzing me in K'iche' and I was not doing well. Hmmmmmm, tired and stuffed......how was I going to eat more?

Then a plate of steak, beans, cream and tortillas was placed in front of me with a Coke. whew.....................that is all I can say................whew..............................goodnight.

No comments: