Friday, June 25, 2010

Concluding my time in Paxot

After clinic, I went to get my family to take them to Chichi for ice cream. This will be my last night in Paxot and I wanted to make it special.

Everyone jumped into the back seat of the truck while Angela wanted to sit up front. Wow...........was everyone excited!! The kids sang all the way to Chichi and Gaspar sat with his arm around Martina! They looked as if they were on a date!

We parked the truck and walked to Sarita's, the ice cream store. I could tell that they were not use to ordering ice cream. Everyone wanted strawberry or vanilla. I ordered for everyone, adding chocolate covering with nuts. The parents sat on the bench and did not even look at the selection. It was fun but also kind of sad that they seemed out of place.

It was great........we just sat there and chatted. People would come in the store and we would talk to them. I introduced you to Christofer a few ways ago that needs surgery. He and his family were there and a few others that we know.

When we were finished, I asked them if they wanted another one......................."Yes!!" was the response but this time, they wanted just a small cup of strawberry.

We walked to the park and sat for about an hour........just relaxing, talking to people that passed by and enjoying the time.

When we returned to Paxot, there was a HUGE gathering in town! The street was lined with people and the community building was full! There was going to be a town meeting since no one had water again :( Gaspar and Martina had us walk a different way home since they did not want us to walk through the crowd.

When we reached the house, Gaspar said he better go to the meeting. He needed to know what was going on and find out when they would have water again. He took a flashlight because sometimes the meetings last 3 hours.

I laid down on the patio just to rest. I asked Martina to sit with me. She is always working so hard and I was surprised when she did. We sat with the children and talked for about 15 minutes and then we decided we better go and get water. They asked, "Are you sure you want to go??" I was up and ready!!

We packed up the bottles that they use to carry water and off we went. We stopped and picked up some of her family since they needed water too. We hiked through the woods and.......down, down, down to the spring.

The spring has a tube that fills this area so it is easy to dip the water out.

We were the only ones there to begin with..................

Then we heard others coming for water........................

Angela and I before we headed up, up and up...................

Another cultural experience and I loved it! They decided I needed to use a su't to carry my gallons of water back. It was much easier than I thought it would be and Alejandro enjoys using my camera :) To the right of the photo, you can see the small white tube that brings in the spring water.

We climbed up, up and back up!

When we got back to the house, everyone wanted more photos.



Jenny and her baby.

Laying on the patio earlier felt good so I returned to it. The kids laid there with me and they sky was very clear. I started counting the stars and they were not sure what I was doing........wow. When I explained it to them, they also started counting.

Gaspar returned to the house about 8:30. He said that they men who were suppose to lead the town meeting never showed up!! The people who are to lead the community meetings or who are in charge of different things, always get to carry a special baton that designates them the leader. The people were very angry! The meeting was rescheduled for Saturday night.

We went into the kitchen and they had gifts for me. They told me that they enjoyed having me stay with them and asked me to return next year. Gaspar gave me some apples off their trees and said they were the first ones of the year. The children gave me a small glass and a bowl and Martina gave me a table covering. They thanked me for the day.................but they have given me more than I could ever give them.

No comments: