Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Clinic in Chuguexa

We all met at Clinica Caris this morning and then went to two different areas. Josefina and her group, the Sizemores and two students headed to La Palma. I went to Chuguexa with Marcos, our guys, Sarah and three students. We had a good clinic of 13 medical patients and 8 dental patients.

We stopped on the way to buy our lunch which consisted of bean and cheese sandwiches and peanut butter sandwiches. This group had never had them before so as always, there is a new adventure every day! I also bought a new phone since mine fell in a mud puddle the other day.....just a phone, nothing spectacular. I do not need any more toys right now.

Today the three students with us were Collin from Oklahoma Christian University, Michael from Harding University and Taylor also from Harding University. Collin and Taylor are majoring in BioChem and Michael's major is Biology.

This photo is of Sarah and a family of seven, of which six had a consult. They came to the clinic last month and are doing better.

When we returned to Lemoa we could see a lot of lightening in the distance. I do not see a lot of lightening like we saw today. This was unusual.

When we arrived at Clinica Carris, Gaspar had talked to his his wife and she was being discharged from the hospital. He asked me if I would mind driving them home........I would love to! So we drove to a hospital in Santa Cruz and as we entered the hospital, the sidewalk was covered in hail!! I have only seen it once before here and it was just a few pieces but this had accumulated on the sidewalk! I thought maybe the lightening and hail were related.......

It was good to see Juana, Gaspar's wife and I could tell she was really hurting. I tried to drive as careful as I could but a comfortable ride here in Guatemala is almost impossible. I got them home safe and then helped her walk the rest of the way to her house. She is a very sweet lady and very kind.

It has been a long day but a good one. Tomorrow we will have two clinics.....another day and another adventure!

1 comment:

Dr. Burt said...

Glad to hear that Taylor and Michael are doing well. They are two of our best!