Monday, November 19, 2007

Back in Santa Cruz....


We had our English class on Sunday morning. It was a small class but they had a lot of enthusiasm. They really enjoy the game BINGO or maybe it is the candy they enjoy more :) but this week there was a lot of improvement. They actually repeated many of the numbers back to me in English, when last week they would only repeat them back to me in Spanish or K'iche'.

During many of our classes the neighbors would slowly walk by and say hello. This week they actually stopped, listened and tried a few words. I told them that they are welcomed to join us on Sunday mornings. Four said that they will join us next Sunday. I will welcome them in Spanish with "bienvenidos" and if they speak K'iche, I will welcome them with "utz ipetik." Then after they are seated, I will quickly return to my English!

I went to Antigua to spend some time with Juliet and her family. The top photo is of her family taken earlier this year. Her children are very sad and it has been a very difficult year for them since Juliet's husband, Leonel, had spent a large part of it in the hospital. The second photo was taken from their house. Antigua is beautiful and Leonel would tell me that Antigua is heaven because the weather is perfect. He was a wonderful father and he will really be missed.

No comments: