Friday, August 16, 2013

Second clinic in Patzibal

Today, we had our second clinic in Patzibal.  This was the view from where the trucks were parked.........as you can see, the rain is coming in.

 
I was very excited for dental, since they had 22 patients.  There were also 3 dental cleaning.  Medical, on the other hand, had a slow day with patients but we stayed busy.

Today, Juana was with us.  She is Tomas' wife and helped me all day with K'iche'.  We saw her in clinic last week and she was sad.  It was good to see her today and be back to her happy self.  She was a great help!

Last month, we visited two patients in their homes.  I wanted to do follow-up visits today.
Last month, Charlie, Vanessa and I went to visit a man that is 98 years.  He looked so good today!  He was dressed, was able to sit on the side of his bed without help and has been walking some.  He no longer has a cough or fever.  What an encouragement that is to us!

We also went to visit a lady that has been in bed for four months.  We drove about 10 minutes int he truck and then parked it as we walked......and walked......and walked.  We went down the road, through a cornfield, then back up a him to a house that we could see in the distance.

She patient was sweet and has many medical issues, but was all smiles!  Here she is with her family on the side of her bed.

She has a beautiful smile with a great disposition.  I will make copies of these photos and take them to her.

When we returned to the clinic, it was time for lunch.  We enjoyed a great lunch of chicken soup, fresh avacado, wonderful chili and tortillas.

After lunch, we went to visit a lady that we saw last month after she fell.  The day that we saw her, she had just scraped her leg.  We gave her cream for it and I thought it would heal great.  Well, somewhere along the line, she decided to go to a doctor and they removed some blood that had accumulated in her calf area. Well, it is not healing but they seem pleased with her progress.

I am concerned since her wound is very, very deep.  Her dressing looked dirty and the story changed on how often they are changing it.  I offered to return and gave her my phone number so if they are not happy with her progress, they can call.  As I mentioned, I am concerned that it is not healing well.

I did not have the best of luck today.  When we arrived in the morning, the truck was parked next to a dirt wall and there was a lot of mud.  I gracefully, slipped in the mud and had to clean it off before I started clinic.

In the first house we visited, a dog nipped at my leg.  Luckily, he only got my scrub pants and not my leg.  Whew, since dog bites do not do too well here in Guatemala.

It was a wonderful day. I am so thankful that the gentleman is doing well.  Last month, Vanessa told the man that she wanted to return to take his photo when he is 100 years old, so Vanessa, you better be packing your suitcase for your return visit!

Tomorrow, we head to Chuchipaca. It will be great to see Cecy and congratulate her in person on the success of her exam!

No comments: