Monday, March 26, 2012

Wedding of Julia and Carlos

Well, it is time for another romantic Guatemalan wedding. Today, Julia and Carlos were married and they called a few days ago to invite me. Julia is the sister of my ABC daughter, Sandra. It was good to see the family again.

Gaspar and another brother from the church were doing the ceremony. When I arrived, everyone was waiting outside. I was invited into the kitchen to talk with Julia's sister. Sandra was not at home since she had classes this morning and was not excused to stay at home. We gathered around the fire for bread and Coke.

Inside this room, the wedding activity took place. After about 2 hours, people started getting restless and wanted to know what was going on.

Behind the kitchen, ladies prepared the mid-morning snack that would be served. We had hot chocolate and some more bread.

The wedding usually starts in the home of the bride and then moves to the home of the groom, where, usually, the new couple will live. So we started in Saquilla and ended up in Chuguexa. The driving time between the two houses is almost two hours.

All of a sudden there was some activity on the patio and the sisters and told me I could enter the room. The photos I took through the day were a disappointment. This is about the best photo I have of Julia and Carlos. They talked very little to each other and as I mentioned, it was another romantic Guatemalan wedding.

Before they left the room, members of the family brought in gifts. They were presented to Julia and Carlos as they remained seated at the table.

Sandra was in Chuguexa when we arrived. I will post a photo of her later. We enjoyed a lunch together of soup and tortillas. After lunch, more presents were presented and that is when everyone started crying. I felt bad for Carlos as it felt we were at a funeral. He just stood there as the family hugged Julia and said their goodbyes.

I hope the new couple is happy and that the families adjust well. We have clinic in Chuguexa every month so I told Sandra that she is welcome to ride with us when we travel for the clinic. This way she can still spend some time with Julia. We will see what happens.

No comments: