Saturday, October 4, 2008

Where do I begin??

OK, first, this is truly the events of the day. None of the events have been altered..........this was OUR day of adventure!

All started out well.....I met the guys in Chihi and we drove to Chuchipaca. As we got close, I asked the guys if they thought we should take our usual road in or a different road because of the rain. We looked up the road and thought it looked ok. As we started driving up, things were good..........then we started to slide a little. It was not real muddy but the dirt was packed so tight that traction was difficult.

Then I told the guys I was not comfortable and I thought we needed to turn around and take the other road........as I started backing down, we were doing ok and then the truck having a mind of it's own, just decided it wanted to be in the DITCH!! and not only that but almost on IT'S SIDE! I could not open my door and it was very interesting climbing out to access the situation.

I always try to be very careful and this was my first time of being stuck. When Kemmel talks about being sick in Guatemala, he says, "It's not IF you get sick, but WHEN you get sick." I guess getting stuck might be the same principal. It will eventually happen if you drive very much........ but it was a humbling experience.

Some people brought boards and shovels and we dug while repositioning the boards under the tires to give us some traction. We eventually were out of the ditch, thanking everyone several times, buying them Cokes and giving them a little money for their two hours of hard labor :) I did not take any photos because it is not something I want to remember!

We finally arrived at the clinic and we were pleased to see we had 15 patients. I reached into my pocket and realized my glasses had snapped in two. I remember hearing the sound but not really thinking about it. I usually carry them in a different pocket but they fell out while I was digging. I only had a bandaid to try a put them together again..........what a hoot!! I did not take a photo of this because it is not something I want you to see!! :)

We finally finished clinic and I drove the guys back to Chichi. I stopped and bought some bread and Cokes for our lunch and we had a fun time driving home. I think everyone was just thankful to almost have the day done. I told them we were OK.......the truck was OK, we had a good clinic.... so we were taken care of. We laughed and joked about different things, talked about 2009 plans and we were thankful to see a little sun.

I then went to Clinic Carris to change out boxes to prepare for next Wednesday. As I was trying to clean the truck a little, my phone rang and it was Juan. Juan was still in Chichi and had heard that his sister had a severe allergic reaction and was not feeling well. I asked him some questions and he thought it might be some pork she had eaten for lunch. I could tell by his voice that he was real nervous. I asked about her breathing and he said she had trouble earlier but was doing a little better. I told him I would return to Chichi with some medicine for her.

When I returned, he was talking on the phone with his mom. She said that his sister was breathing ok but her body was red and swollen. I asked him if he wanted me to drive him home and see his sister. He told me no because the roads and the mud slides are bad and it would not be safe. I have learned I need to trust the guys so I asked one more time, received the same response and talked about other medicines he might need if she started having trouble breathing.

When I got home, I called Juan and his sister is feeling much better. The benadryl has helped her relax and she is now breathing without any problem.

It is one of those nights when you are just thankful that everyone is home safe, the trucks are in the garages, the patients are well.........and it is time to rest. Gracias a Dios!

Tomorrow Juan and I head to the coast for 3 days to help in the surgical clinic. I will send photos of that because THAT is something I want to share with you and remember!!

Please pray for the patients, the people from The States and the Guatemalan staff.
Good night :)

No comments: