Thursday, October 9, 2008

Last day of surgeries

The week of surgeries was completed and we had 71 patients. It is a blessing that all of the patients have done well. The staff really pulled together and completed the week strong. I am sure that many first-timers are already planning their return visit.

After I slept a little this morning, I took a few people to Chicaco for some entertainment. We had planned on going to the waterfalls but there was some heavy rain in the area so they closed the roads. I could not get everyone in the truck for the trip to Chicaco so I planned on taking another truck when we returned.

This is Dr. Mecklenberg and he told me that this is his 7-8th trip. Sherry is from Nashville and this is her second trip. This is Lester´s first trip with his wife Grace. Grace works in the OR and this is her 5th trip. This photo is of us exploring Chicaco.

This is the park in the center of town.
We stopped by a music school to enjoy some of their music. They were playing maribas and I asked to see if they would still be open when I returned with the next group.
As we were litening to the music, this little lady wanted her photo taken many, many times. Mike really had his hands full with her! I remember his lady but can not remember exactly when I met her before. Doesn´t that drive ya crazy?? I just remember her dancing in the streets in the past........not someone you would easily forget.
There are so many photos and stories that I want to share from the week. I will do that in later blogs. Internet is difficult right now because of the rains.

We ended the night with a very special devotional and a time to share our thoughts and experiences of the week. It is difficult to pinpoint special moments of the week because there are so many......it is just impossible.

One lady shared with us her story of being visited one at her door by men that she did not know.........a fear of all mothers and fathers whose children are serving in our military. She was then told that she had lost her son in combat. Since that day and everyday, she looks for good because there is so much evil in this world. I know I am not stating it exactly like she did........but I hurt so bad for her as everyone in the room did. She felt that during this week, she saw some good.....she saw people who cared and wanted to share Christ.

The make-up of each group that comes to work is different. Many times the majority of people are return visitors, while many are first-timers. Many people are Christians, while others are not. Some people may come to visit and be searching. People may be here to serve and hoping to deepen their love for Christ. While many people many think the ministry that Health Talents has is only here in Guatemala, I think the ministry is also taken back to The States. Seeds are planted and people return home thinking about the week of events. As someone said our last night, you return home a different person you were when you arrived. I asked people to remember our patients in prayer and to also pray that the planted seeds will continue to grow and develop.

No comments: