Thursday, October 30, 2008

Excitement in Antigua!!!

I usually do not have many boring days and this was another one full of adventure. First, I did receive my passport back which was a relief. I heard the guy was reliable but you just never know.......since I was told it was probably stamped in a bathroom :):):)

So later in the day, I was back at the school studying and I heard some excitement over by the coffee........one of the students had come back to the school to say that a lady had been held at gun point in her home which is near the school. She apparently had been taped around her face and tied to a chair. Some how she had escaped and ran into the streets. Some shots were fired and within a few minutes the streets were full of police and firemen.

This is the front of the house where all of the excitement had taken place.


One of the victims was placed in this ambulance and then later drove away. The streets filled quickly with people as the robbers fled the house running down the street.
It took place right near La Merced, one of my favorite places to visit. People filled the streets and within a few minutes the street vendors saw their opportunity to make some sales.......the ice cream people came running with their carts.
This section was eventually taped off as part of the crime scene since the shooting was so close.

The police eventually blocked off more streets when the people escaped. They did secure one man but as of right now, they are still going from house to house searching.



The police and firemen stationed themselves at different sections of the park.



As they were doing from door to door searching.........there were several police on the roof tops


As I said they are still looking for the suspects. It was getting dark when I left so I am not sure how successful the police will be. I will keep you posted. Before I left the park I had to have some dinner..........I ate a tostado and drank some atole.......I will be back to visit this lady since her food was so good. I better head back to the hotel before it gets to late.





No comments: