Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Fourth Clinic in Xepol

Today was our fourth clinic in Xepol. It takes almost 2 hours to get there and it not far from the highway. The road off the highway could be dangerous in heavy rain but Gaspar received a call yesterday saying we should not have any problem.

We had a good clinic of 14 patients. No one wanted their teeth cleaned but we hope that as we continue to talk about dental hygiene they will understand the importance of it.

These are children that live near by and are family members of Tomas, the gentleman that helps us. Tom translated K'iche' for me and he did a great job!

Before the patients started arriving, we took more photos. The children helped us set up clinic and when it was time to return everything to the truck, they all pitched in again.


This mother came today for a consult. Hopefully we will see her again and she will be feeling better.

I was kneeling over a young child listening to his heart and lungs and he was not happy at all with the process. He was screaming and crying and I just wanted to make sure I listened well.......and then I felt a little dampness on my knee........yes, he was peeing on me.

One lady has an ultrasound that she forgot to bring today. I asked her to please bring it the next time we have clinic. One family was covered in scabies so I hope that family is better when we return. One little child had been severely burned on her feet by boiling water two months ago. I was please when I looked that it was healing so well. One child was covered with sores due to poor hygiene. This is a very poor area so I am hoping that as we continue with the clinics, we will see improvement in the general health.

Even though the area is poor by material standards, they are rich in spirit. When we began clinic this morning, they prayed with emotion that is difficult to describe. I know that God will hear their prayers and He will answer them.

No comments: