Friday, April 17, 2009

Clinic in Choacaman IV

I met everyone in Chichi today. I drove Maury and Martina to Clinica Caris and then Juan, Gaspar and I went to Choacaman IV. We had a good clinic of 10 patients.

I saw a few people that will need a follow-up visit because their blood sugars were very high. One of these gentleman told me how nervous he is and just can not relax. His wife was sitting there and after I had asked a series of questions, she told me that he drank too much alcohol. Well, that changed the direction of the questions. We talked for awhile about how stressful it can be when you are doing things that you know are not good for you and your family. It is a mental wrestling match. His wife seemed to really understand this and then she told me that their 14 year old son is not doing well because he sees his dad drink. She said she wants to bring their son to the next consult.

After we had seen all of the patients, I went out to call Glenn and Neva in Antigua. While I was on the phone talking to them, I saw smoke and heard come crackling in the distance.........they were burning a field to prepare it for planting and it did not seem to be a wise thing to do today.

The flames eventually reached to the top of the trees.


Enrique was nervous about the fire and went to the other side of the field to see if it was going to spread more. He even had me go and move our truck father out.

This lady had a few bottles of water and was spilling it on the fire line....thinking it might keep it from spreading..........


This lady had a boom and was walking around trying to beat down the flames.

Eventually the winds stopped and the flames died down.

It is not quite time for rain yet. It usually begins in May and we really have not had any since early December but we need it. The land is dry, there are many fires and the sky is hazy.

Guess what??? Tonight about 8pm.........it poured rain for about 30 minutes and it smelled so good. Gracias a Dios.





No comments: