Sunday, March 1, 2009

Weekend in Santa Cruz

It has been a few days since I have blogged and it has seemed odd. Friday, all of us met at the "health department" and obtained our health cards. I was concerned about it and was praying hard..............but I slid through the line and out the door with my card in hand.......Gracias a Dios!

Josefina and I spent a few hours together on Friday taking photos of different food groups for a nutritional class. Lisa was kind to prepare a list of foods for us and we proceeded through the market taking photos.

This is my favorite vegetable here but it is does not grow in The States. It is called guisquil and it belongs to the squash family. You can boil or fry it, adding a little butter or salt.

For those that know me well, you know that I do not cook very much........well, really not much at all. This week I was going to cook some pancakes and the gas on my stove died........this was a shock to Lisa and Kemmel because they knew that this was the original tank that came with my stove 2 years ago!! But there is no need to worry. I had a new tank delivered to my house the next day. I am prepared for the next two years!!

This was the photo we took in the meat shop. When the red flag is hanging at the door, you know that the meat is fresh that day.........if there is no red flag, then run the other way :)

Another good source of protein is fish.

There are many, many tomatoes here in Guatemala.

Eggs are not refrigerated here as they are in The States.


This lady was in the market and wanted a photo, so I took one of her. I told her that I would bring her a copy on Sunday morning. I found her this morning and gave her the photo. She was so excited. We talked for a minute and then I started walking home. After I walked a couple of blocks, I turned around and she was still sitting on the side walk looking at her photo. I am glad that she liked it.

OK, Pepperdine is here for their Spring Break and they are ready for a week of clinics. Tomorrow we will have clinics in Lemoa and Mactzul I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sheri: i like how you cook; food and air are over rated.
Glenn