Monday, March 9, 2009

ACU meets Lemoa and Xatinab I

We all met for breakfast and then we were off to clinics. Some of us went to Lemoa for the regular clinic there and the others went to Chinique. We took four students with us to Lemoa and I think they had a great experience.

This is Lauren, Georgia, Chase and Stacey and they are students at Abilene Christian University. We spent the day together in Lemoa and then announced Josefina's clinic Thursday in Xatinab I.
I taught them how to take blood pressures, check pulses, do glucometer readings, and check urine specimens for pregnancy and infection. They all learned very quickly and did well. Here Chase is practicing his technique with Lauren.

We saw around 13 medical patients in the clinic today. This little girl enjoyed playing and when we left she waved and waved until we could not see her anymore.

One patient that had a consult is having a lot of problems in her life. Josefina asked Gaspar to pray with her after her consult. Later, she asked me for my telephone number because she wants to attend a worship service here in Santa Cruz. I told her I would be glad to meet her and we could walk together. We never know what doors may open to teach people more about the gospel.

This little boy had a lot of energy. He can not speak or hear but he reads lips very well.
Tomorrow, Josefina will have her clinic in Xatinab I. She asked me if I would drive around in the community and announce the clinic...........sure!! Lauren, Stacy and Georgia also wanted to go. I told them it would be a tight fit but if they were up to it, they were welcomed.

We arrived in Xatinab and mounted the megaphone to the top of the truck.........and then connected the wires to the battery of the truck. Gaspar and Juan sat in the front with me as I slowly drove through the area. They would play some music and then announce the clinic. It was one of those cultural experiences. The girls said that if we were to try this technique in The States, people would probably throw things at us. Instead here the people waved and stood outside their houses so they could hear the announcement. I told Josefina that we were going to announce that she could handle up to 300 patients.........just joking, of course.


I will keep you posted on how many patients Josefina has in Xatinab :)





No comments: