Friday, March 13, 2009

Clinic cancelled due to demonstration

Today I met the guys in the park and I thought it was odd that they were walking from a different direction. They told me that they had been out looking in the streets because another demonstration was planned today. They had also received a call from Enrique in Choacaman saying that it might be better to cancell the clinic.

I called Kemmel to let him know what was going on. He felt it was better just to hold off. We might be able to get to Choacaman but might not be able to get back in to Santa Cruz. They had already started blocking the roads.

I returned to the house and made a list of things I could do today to make it a productive one...........finally clean my house, order flight tickets, finish a Spanish class, start to pack, catch up on email and get some photos made for a nutrition class. I grabbed my backpack and started out the door thinking that my neighbors television was loud with no one home and then I realized it was not the television but the demonstration in the street.

To the left of my house, the roads were blocked. The vans and buses were all stopped with policemen, firemen and other city workers blocking the side streets. I turned and walked the other way. Things like this make me a little nervous and it is better not to be in the center of it. As I walked a few blocks I realized nothing, nothing was opened. Sirens and horns were blasting and all of the businesses were closed. The streets were empty and there were no vendors. No one was selling chicken, ice cream or phone cards. The park was empty. The vans and buses were not running.......it did not look like Santa Cruz.

I decided to walk home and get out of the streets. One my way, I met the demonstration marchers. They were walking behind police cars with blasting megaphones and signs. There were hundreds of people marching.........they filled five full blocks. I wanted a photo but thought it was better not to pull my camera out of my backpack.

Most of their signs were about the injustice or unfair treatment of the indigenous people. Prices have really increased in the last year and transportation has been a main concern. It was a peaceful march but there was still uneasiness about it. The men motioned for those watching to join. Many of the women who were walking were also weaving.............marching for their cause was not going to stop them from doing some work. Many of the mothers carried their babies and were breastfeeding as they walked. Last time this happened they burned tires in the streets to stop the traffice but I did not see any of this today.

I think things will be back to normal tomorrow. I will go to Chuchipaca with Lisa and the guys.

No comments: