Thursday, March 5, 2009

Pepperdine meets Mactzul III

It seems that I always have an interesting story to tell..........first, there was frost on all the fields this morning as I drove to Chichi to meet everyone. I had not seen this before so I knew it was as cold as it felt.........brrrrrrrr.....Second, a truck that I was following this morning went out of control ahead of me but I was able to get around him even through he practically did a 360. As I looked back he had not rolled over or had not hit anything so I knew there was nothing to do to help.........so, on to Chichi.

The students went with us to Mactzul III for our third clinic there. We had 13 medical patients, 16 dental patients and 5 for dental cleaning. We saw a variety of patients and it was a good day.

Since we only had 13 patients, we asked Dr. Brian to teach us everything he could. Lindsey translated for him and one of the members of The Church translated from K'iche', as it was needed.

The school near the clinic had classes today. This little girl came to visit us during her school break.
Julie found a little girl that was adorable. The mother was lucky to get her back :)

Drake painted with the children and kept them entertained.
This little girl also wanted her photo taken. The kids know I will return with a copy of their photo.
As I mentioned, we saw a variety of patients today. One man had a cyst on his wrist and also a hernia. We referred him to a surgeon that we use in Chichi. One little girl had hepatitis and another man had a mass in his neck. Hopefully, he will return an ultrasound report.

We were served soup and tamalitos for lunch. It was very good.

We finished up in the afternoon and loaded the trucks. The people from The Church wanted a photo taken with the group of students so as you can tell.......it was accomplished. It was a great weekwith Pepperdine and I think some of them will return next year. We wish them the best in their studies and pray they have a safe flight back to The States.


No comments: