Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A wonderful day in Xepocol!

It was one of those days where you think things could not be any better! We left Chichi this morning at 0800 and arrived at Xepocol for clinic. We passed two big fiestas on the way and Gaspar had warned me that we may not have any patients because of the celebrations.

Well, we had 20 patients and most of them were ABC children. If anyone reading has ABC children from this area, let me know and I will help you make contact with them. These two boys had been trying to climb into the truck so I gave them a lift up and they loved playing up there.

The children are fun to play with and tease. They laugh at my pronunciations and I find a way to tease back with them.

Gaspar's dad helped us with clinic today and his mother was there also. I really enjoyed spending time with her even though Gaspar and Juan needed to help us with translation. She is a mid-wife and I told her that I needed to learn a lot from her. She told me I was welcomed to spend time with her.....she has 3 ladies who should be giving birth in the next month. She is a very sweet lady and really enjoys talking and laughing.

Gaspar had lunch for us in his house today. We drove down to his house after we had seen all of the patients. His wife, Juana, is a very sweet person also. I just wish the language of K'iche' came in a pill form...............

Gaspar told me that two families in the area are wanting to become Christians and will be baptized on March 16th. He asked me to attend the baptisms but that is the day I am flying home. He knows I would love to be there!

Last night, I saw on of my little lady friends. She had fallen and her hand was real swollen. She lives by herself and seems very lonely. I had some medicine in my back pack so I gave it to her. I told her I would visit her again before I leave for NC on Sunday.

No comments: