Thursday, March 13, 2008

Another clinic in Lemoa

Today we had a good clinic in Lemoa. There were 9 medical patients and I did not hear an ending count for dental.

These were some children playing near the clinic.
The patient that I was most excited about today lives in Mactzul VI. She first came to our clinic on March 5 with the complaint of being thirsty all of the time. She said she had eaten a small amount of breakfast 4 hours before. We checked her blood sugar anyway and it was "HI" on the meter. I asked her to come see us in Lemoa the next morning and not eat anything for breakfast. She agreed and her blood sugar was 451. Soooooooooo......we talked about medication, what foods were good to eat, what foods to avoid and what food combinations were good. Today her blood sugar was 96!! I was so pleased with her progress and her husband was also excited.

One lady brought her daughter in with a cough that she has had for about 3 months. She also brought in her baby that was very sick last week and she is thankful for the progress the baby has made.......she told me how strong the baby is now........gracias a Dios!

Between patients today I washed the dental towells and sheets. For some reason, I find doing laundry at the clinic relaxing. Maybe because the sheets smell clean and it is warm on the porch.

Before we left, one woman walked by with her little girl and she was concerned the girls face was so dry and scaly. I asked her what soap she used to bath her and she told me powder soap used for laundry. We talked about different soaps that were better for children's skin, lotion and where to buy these things. I hope that she is able to change soaps soon.

Our clinic tomorrow was cancelled :( I like that area and really hope that clinic develops into a large clinic......but it will also be nice to have the day tomorrow to clean and prepare for my trip to the States.

No comments: