Thursday, March 27, 2008

Clinic in Lemoa

Today we had a busy clinic and it was a good day!

We had 14 dental patients and 15 medical patients. Tomasa, the lady that needs surgery in April, had brought her lab work to the clinic. The results are within range so the plan is for her to have surgery the week of April 13th. Her mother came to the clinic today with more numbers that we needed and she also needed to sign a paper. Out of habit, I started to hand her my pen and then remembered that many patients are not able to sign their name....so we got the black ink pad and she made a stamp with their thumb. We completed the papers so she is set!

I also received an email from Dr. Phillip that he can do surgery on the boy with the cleft lip in La Palma. I am so excited because I know this will really change this boys life.

Today Gaspar refilled the medicines that he keeps in his home and we prepared medicines for Juan. This is a very important aspect of the work being done. The goal is that all health care promoters will keep medicines in their home so they can help their community when there is a need and the patient can not wait until the next scheduled clinic. This shows the promoters have increased their knowledge and I feel that this also shows our confidence in their skills.

When I got home this afternoon, I grabbed my change and went out into the street to buy a few things. I always try to walk around town a little and not get into the habit of starting the computer right away. I saw several people in the street that I knew and we chatted a little. I also saw one of our regular patients that was with his family.

This is what I bought in the market: a bag of radishes, 2 avocados, a 100w light bulb and a pineapple. Can you guess how much I paid for everything??? I will let you know tomorrow because right now I have to check on the UNC ballgame. It is tournament and I need to be cheering the boys on to victory!!

Tomorrow we go to Paxot II, Juan's community..........

No comments: