Sunday, March 30, 2008

A day of study......

I used today to study and get caught up on cleaning. So, I cleaned one hour and then studied the rest of the day. Cleaning seems to be a waste of time even though I need to do it. It is so dusty right now and as soon as I sweep and mop, I find more to sweep and mop :(

We have another class on Tuesday for the guys I work with. This class will be on different antibiotics and how to give different medicines. I think they will like this class a lot. I like for them to have some understanding of the medicines that we use and I love their questions.

Worship was at 4pm this afternoon......well, it is suppose to begin at 4pm but many people arrive after 4:30. It is just one of those cultural things. A family sat next to me and I could tell the little girl wanted to look at my song book so I held it down to she could see it. I was so glad that I could understand the guy that called the numbers........I did not want her to think, "I am sitting next to a blonde gringa."

The message was a very good one. He talked about different illnesses of the body......cancer, HIV, heart attacks, arthritis........and that they only affect us physically. Then he asked the question, but what illness makes us spiritually sick? The answer he gave was sin. God can not have any relationship with darkness or sin. Sin totally separates us from God unless we are Christians and then we can have forgiveness. He then continued with many scriptures in Acts that tells how people were baptized when they asked what they needed to do to receive salvation. It is only through baptism that we receive the blood of Christ.

This lesson reminded me of a patient that Gaspar and I talked to this week. This patient was not a Christian but was practices costumbre......meaning that she follows the traditions of her family or culture, not the Bible. I also remembered us talking to her last month. She has arthritis in her knees and has a lot of pain. She has been to doctors in the City and has received many injections but they did not help. She is in her late 60's which is older than many of our patients. As we were talking, I told her it was important to remember that only in this life we have physical pain.....that it heaven there will be no pain. This opened the door for Gaspar to talk to this lady more in K'iche' because, I had said ALL I could say :) Gaspar talked to her about heaven and how to become a Christian. I hope that this lady will continue to think about what was said and that she will return to the clinic again.

It is time to study some more and then go to a wedding tomorrow. I was asked to bring my camera so I think that means I will be the photographer :)

No comments: