Friday, February 29, 2008

Beezzzzzzzzz in Paxot II !!

This morning I headed to Chichi to get Maury, then we went to pick up Gaspar at his bridge and then we proceeded to Paxot II. It was a small clinic of only 9 patients and it was a cold day. After we had seen the patients that had arrived, we were invited into the cocina, kitchen or cooking area to enjoy some incaparina and bread. We sat by the fires and it felt wonderful.

After a few minutes, I realized everyone was looking to the first cooking area behind me and I thought it was because there was so much smoke. They kept talking and looking puzzled......and eventually everyone got up and walked over to it. I just wanted to sit by the fire and enjoy my hot drink but I followed too. Now, you have to remember most of this is spoken in K'iche' so I am not understanding much of it. Well, all of sudden, they start laughing and running to the top of the building, herding me with them! They now realize that bees have built nests in the chimneys of the cooking areas and they are swarming out of the building and what a noise they are making!

When we felt it is safe to return inside, one of the ladies started digging in the stove area and pulled out two huge, blackened honey combs! Here she holds up one of them for me. Behind her is Juan working at the next cooking area. There are six cooking areas so we go to all of them and build fires to be sure there are no more nests hiding in the chimneys.

Gaspar grabs my camera and zooms in on some of the bees. One man builds a torch on a stick and torches them off of the ceiling. Within a few minutes, honey is sliding down the long silver cylinder that functions as the chimney...........
This photo is a better view of 5 cooking areas. The one in the front is the one we were all sitting at when the commotion started. The cooking area is very important to the ladies as they spend much time here cooking, laughing, sharing stories and fellowshipping. I enjoy spending time with them. Today, they let me chop some onion and stir rice as they spoke K'iche' to me. I try to repeat it........it is very dificult but they know I am trying. I want to be able to sit on the floor by the fire with them and speak their language...........maybe in 5 more years.........
A few more patients arrived and then we drove back with 4 additional riders.

Tomorrow we will have clinic and then I will go and check on the Pepperdine Team that will be here in the afternoon.

No comments: