Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Education Day

Today was our education day. The chapter that was selected from the book, Donde Hay no Doctor (Where There is not Doctor), discusses medicines and giving injections. The mind-set of many of our patients is that medicines given by injections are better than pills or syrups. Many people get injections from the pharmacy and do not seem really sure of what the medicine is. So, this is an area of education that we can work on.

Katy and I bought pigs feet in the market last night for the guys to practice with. They practiced injections on the feet and then practiced some suturing.

Gaspar continues to practice on his pig's feet. Then he continues to tell us how to cook them for dinner in a soup. Katy and I passed on that........
I wanted to add a little color to the blog so the photo below is of parrots that are at the Santo Tomas Hotel in Chichicastenango. They are brought out during the day to enjoy the sunshine and then are taken back in at night.
I talked to Josefina a little last night about Pedro. She heard he is a little better and that the family feels he was around some type of poisening a few days before he became very sick. We will see what happens but we know that God can heal him...........

Tonight I walked to the store to get some coffee creamer for the clinic. I decided it was time for some icecream! No special reason, just because. As I was walking through the park Maury and Aura spotted me..........you know how you feel eyes watching ya.........so we headed together for icecream and it was very good!

No comments: