Friday, February 22, 2008

Commotion in Choacaman IV!

When we have clinic in Choacaman IV it is very common to have dogs, chickens, turkeys, ducks and a cat walk, run or sleep in the area we have clinic. But today 3 goats wandered through and it was a big ordeal to get them back on a leash! It took the owner of the house, his wife and his daughter to get the goats under control.

We had 11 patients today and it was a good clinic. I really enjoy having patients return and being able to follow-up with their blood sugar and their blood pressure.

We saw one lady today that has a prolapsed uterus and we will try to get her scheduled at the next surgical clinic. The patient and her husband were so excited when they left the clinic. They now have hope of having surgery at an affordable price for them. They hugged us several times and kept thanking us as they promised to return for a follow-up visit in Lemoa.

After clinic I went to wash laundry. I love being at the clinic when it it quiet and peaceful........while listening to my clean laundry flap in the wind and watching the shepard lady with her flock.

I took a book to read. It is the writing of Jody Glittenberg, To the Mountain and Back. She was a nurse that practiced near the area I am living. She was here during the years 1971-1976 in three separate phases. I can relate very well as she writes that as she boarded the plane for the first time, she knew that she would not return home the same person. I remember so well how things really changed for me during my second visit here in July 2005. Each return trip became more important for me and I wanted to do more. My previous plans were no longer important.........

Tomorrow we are off to Chuchipaca........

No comments: