Monday, February 18, 2008

A day to study and get caught up......

Today was a different day.....but aren't they all??

I went to the clinic to deliver a message. I decided to take a a minivan to the clinic because it would be much easier than getting the truck out of the garage and then waiting when I returned for the owner to removed his van from the garage. When I got to the clinic, I found they were having a good day with 16 patients. It is exciting when there are patients at the clinic and you can see how they are progressing.

When it came time to leave the clinic, there were no returning vans for some reason....so I walked and walked....and walked. Finally, one did pass by and I was thankful. It made me think of so many people that depend on others for transportation. I know it is very difficult for them at times.

I went to the hospital today with Josefina's mom and dad, Maria and Diego. When we arrived, we found out that Pedro had been moved to the Intensive Care Unit. His dad and brother were outside waiting for some information. We found out that the doctors and the nurses said that Pedro should go to a hosptial in Guatemala City because they did not have the treatment here that he needed. When we questioned what the diagnosis was, they told us we needed to talk to the doctor or the father of Pedro. The problem is that Pedro's dad did not understand. No information was given to us.

The mother and the father were very much against going to The City because of money and the distance. When I asked for a range of how much it would cost, I was told it would take food and clothing from the family and it was too far. They wanted him at home because if he were to die, The City was too far away for people to visit.

The family asked Diego to drive them home which is about a 2 hour drive. When they wheeled Pedro out of the Intensive Care he appeared worse than when we first saw him on Friday. Maria and Diego both talked to the father and asked him to please change his mind. The answer was still no. It took 4 men to move him off the stretcher and into the truck.....he is still unable to walk, stand or drink.

Diego drove Maria and I back to the house. It was the first time I have rode in the back of the pick-up......another cultural experience for me to enjoy.

I said good-bye to Pedro and his family and told them I would continue to pray for them. It was not easy. He should be going where he can get the care that he needs....not returning home almost 2 hours farther away and then having to be carried through the fields.........Maybe, just maybe they will change their minds and find a way to get Pedro to another hospital.

No comments: