Friday, December 7, 2007

Day to burn the devil......December 7th



Within minutes of completing my last blog, I was reading about Day to Burn the Devil or Queme del Diablo. After reading about the events that would take place at 6pm sharp, I walked to the park to see for myself. I had read in other peoples blog that it might not be the best time to be in the streets but I wanted to see............

The streets were lined with small fires and you could hear fireworks whistling and see the colors in the sky. People clean their houses and then place their trash in the street to burn. This is done to purify their house before Christmas. They buy one of the pinatas that are in the first photo and then burn it with the trash. Usually pinatas are filled with candy and used at parties but for this event they are filled with fireworks. People were jumping around in the streets trying to stay out of danger. Some people tied them to light posts and ignited them. Once you thought everything had exploded and the excitment was over, there would be one suprize left.......this became humerous as people walked past fires expecting one last POP! Then someone on the sidewalk would scream and then laugh as people jumped into the air!

I enjoyed walking through the streets and seeing the excitement. In the last photo, even though I was across the street, I felt the paper exploding as the fireworks were ignited.

OK, I am back in the house safe and I can still hear the activities in the street.........goodnight!

No comments: