Sunday, December 16, 2007

Back in the States!

Friday after our clinic in Chocoaman IV, Kemmel and the guys took me to Chichi and I hopped a bus to Antigua. Since the bridge is closed we had to take the long way around to Chichi. The road is not use to this amount of traffic and at some points the visibility was very poor due to the white dust and sun. A few policemen were stationed at different points because of robberies that have taken place. I feel bad for the homeowners. I have seen many tossing water on the road to keep the dust down. I am sure the people feel their life has really been interrupted by the alternative routes of the vans, trucks and chicken buses.

The bus ride to Antigua was interesting. Twice the driver and his assistant stopped, jumped out and lifted the hood of the bus to inspect the engine. Once, the assistant ran back in the bus, tore the straps off his backpack and then gave them to the driver so he could tie something together under the hood. These guys do not have an easy job! They drive those buses as hard as they can and it is not easy to "herd" all of the people on and off with their baskets and goods and at the same time be collecting money and then climbing back on top of the moving bus to recollect their goods as the passenger reaches their destination.

The night in Antigua was relaxing and I spent some time with my teacher, Juliet and her children.

Now, I am back in the States and all is well! My parents met me at the airport, yes, with my Diet Dr. Pepper. We drove back to Morganton this morning and then had lunch with my brother and his wife. I will soon be on my way to Winston-Salem for the night.

Happy Birthday, Dad!! Yahooooooooo!!!!!!!

No comments: