Thursday, October 11, 2007

Returned to Santa Cruz.....K'iche' Class


Gaspar, Tomas, Virginia and I left shortly after 6am and headed for Chuquexa. Before we arrived, we found ourselves in three lanes of stopped traffic. Gaspar headed down the road to find out what was happening. Apparently, there was a lot of mud in the road and a trailer had slid.....it was blocking all lanes of traffic. We were told there was no way of knowing how many hours it would take to clear the road. We called the brothers in Chuquexa to let them know we would not be able to arrive in time for clinic. They had already heard and were aware of the problems that we were having in the road.

Last night I made it to another K'iche' class. Several K'iche' speaking people came and helped us. We were were told to draw a face and then ask questions to identify the parts of the face. The guy helping me decided he wanted to draw a whole body, so the first photo is of his drawing.

The more I attempt to study language, the more I think of Philip helping the Ethiopian in Acts 8. I have thought of this story many times since I have been here. I know the situation is not identical but there are some parallels. It can be frustrating to read, study and want to understand but still need help and not see the progress you want. I am sure that the Ethiopian responded with a HUGH sigh of relief when Philip offered to teach him.....and as Philip climbed up into the chariot.

No comments: