Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Clinic in Mactzul VI


We had nine patients today in Mactzul VI. Between our patients we made a house call to a lady who is who is nine months pregnant. I think she just wanted reassurance that everything was ok. Gaspar, two other guys and I headed down the road to her house. It was about a 20 minute walk.

A few nights ago I learned the terminology for "giving birth". It is "da a luz" which is translates into giving the baby light. For those that know me very well, you know the last thing I want is to be present when a baby is given light. One of my first questions was, "Where is the midwife?" I was very thankful to know the "comadrona" was very close. We sat and talked with the lady who was very comfortable for the time we were there. We prayed with her and I hope to follow up with her next month when we return for clinic.
Tonight I drove to Chichi for our first Q'iche' class. Bill, who is teaching the class, talked about the different dialects and how the language varies between areas. The language is spoken differently where I live than the Chichi area. There were 15 students in the class tonight.
Tomorrow after clinic I will take a bus to Antigua and on Friday morning take a bus to Tapachula, Mexico. It is not far from the Guatemala/ Mexico border. There are 3 of us going to renew our Visas. I will return on Sunday and meet a group at Clinica Ezell.

No comments: