Sunday, September 30, 2012

Worship in Quiche

This morning, I went to Quiche for worship.  When I first moved to Guatemala, this is where I always attended.  They have two services on Sunday and it is very close to where I was living at that time.  The morning service, use to be very small but it is growing!  In the past, there would be 10-12 people.  Today, there were fifty!  The afternoon service is busting out the walls and doors.  If you do not arrive early, it is very difficult to find a chair.  It is so encouraging to see the body of Christ growing.

A few months ago, I mentioned a man who had been bit by a rabid dog.  Usually, in this circumstance, the patient does not live. This man was very lucky and had services available to him.  He was sent to Guatemala City, to a big hospital, where he stayed for several weeks.  He has returned home and his hand looks very good. I know he and his family are very thankful!

This gentleman, Fransisco, preached this morning. His topic was titled, "What are you?"  The correct answer for Christians is, "I am different."  Christians should be different from the people of the world.  We have Christ and the Holy Spirit in us.  The Bible states that our body is the temple and we are one in Christ.  No matter what our circumstance is, no matter where we are......we are not alone.  What a great comfort that is, especially in this world. 

I talk about this a lot with patients in our clinics.  This world, and all of its problems is temporary.  Christians, and only Christians have the hope of eternity......hope of a new body.......hope of a new home.  We need to look forward to seeing Christ face-to-face.  How tragic, for those who do not have this hope.  We need to be strong and willing to share our faith and the love of Christ so that more people will have this hope.

Psalm 62:5-8
Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and salvation; 
He is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depends on God!
He is my mighty rock, my refuge,
Trust in Him at all times, O people;
pour out your hearts to him, 
for God is our refuge.

2 comments:

Sarah Nieto said...

Thanks for sharing this, Sherri!

Mom said...

AMEN!