Saturday, September 1, 2012

Diabetic Class in Guatemala City

Our drive, to Guatemala City, yesterday afternoon was uneventful and we are always thankful for that.

In Tecpan, Sandra wanted to buy some peaches for her family.  I have not had good luck with peaches before but I guess it is because I did not know where to buy them.  We stopped at one fruit stand on the side of the road and they wanted way too much money.  When we returned to the Suk, Sandra told me that it might be because I was with her.  I understand this.........so we drove down the road a little and she jumped across the highway to a new place, as I waited for her.  She did get a lower price!  We tried one when we arrived at her parents and it was very sweet!

On Saturday morning, we went to do the class.  This is the first class of the three class series on Diabetes.  There were about 5 diabetics in the class but almost everyone knew someone that has this illness.  Everyone wanted to increase their awareness and to be able to help others.

After the class, we took a photo of everyone.  Gabby, Sandra's sister, took the photo for us. Our dentist, Sandra, is in the front with the black and white skirt.  She is holding Josue, her nephew.  Her mom, is behind me on the right.  I know.......I am easy to spot :)

After the class, we started looking at dates for the second class.  At this time, we will check everyone's blood sugar and talk about the diet.  It will be a very interactive class.

I was really pleased with the amount of participation today.  There were a lot of questions and interest.  Even after the class, we ate some fruit and the questions continued.  I look forward to returning on the 6th of October for the second class.

For lunch, we walked to Gabby's house.  She served a wonderful lunch of grilled chicken, cucumbers, rice, tortillas and corn bread. I think it is only the second time I have been served corn bread since I have been here. There were three diabetics at lunch and she served them sugar-free jello.  I was very impressed!

Sandra and her mom helped me return to the highway..................and then I was on my way to Antigua!



2 comments:

Kemmel and Lisa Dunham said...

Great job, Sheri!

Mom said...

I think you must be the one without dark hair, right? :)
Great pictures!!!